A Favorite Scripture Verse of Elder Butler

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me: for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." ~ Ether 12:27 (A favorite verse of scripture from Elder Butler.)

Monday, December 23, 2013

The Best Remedy


Hello and Merry Christmas! Paskwa!

Well the Philippines is all up and about getting ready for Christmas to come. Today was probably the busiest I've seen of just about everything. Long lines and lots of crowds rushing here and there. Still sweating it out since it is still a consistent 80 degrees here (Fahrenheit) and showing no signs of changing any time soon.

A thing they do here that I find funny is that lots of people here go "caroling" at night, especially kids. But when they do caroling it’s more of them chanting some Christmas related poem at you in Tagalog and not leaving you alone until you give them something. (And I thought the "bring us some figgy pudding, we won’t go until we get some" part was a joke... apparently it isn't here...)  So we have been giving out lots of pamphlets and such to the little kids who come by spreading Christmas cheer with their best "you'd be really mean not to give me something" face. :)

In other news, I get to call you all in a few days! I guess we could try the Google hang out again if you want. I will be getting on probably around 10am or 11am on Christmas day here, which will be Christmas Eve for you at home. I can't wait to see all of you again!

We are still working hard to make use of the Christmas spirit and invite as many people as we can to come unto Christ through His restored gospel. I've been studying the writings of the apostle Paul in the New Testament a little and I really feel like I have a friend in Paul. His passion for the work, along with the fire in his heart for the Savior, and also the love that he felt for the early saints before the Church was lost. The scriptures seem to just jump right out off the page for me now more and more, whether I'm reading the Old or New Testaments, The Book of Mormon, or any of the words that Christ has revealed to us.

We've set some pretty high goals in our companionship this week since the best remedy for homesickness is work. So we'll be stretching ourselves and showing our faith by giving everything we have as our gift to Jesus this Christmas. 

I love you all so much! Take care until Christmas!

~Elder Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment