A Favorite Scripture Verse of Elder Butler

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me: for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." ~ Ether 12:27 (A favorite verse of scripture from Elder Butler.)

Monday, December 16, 2013

A White Christmas


Hello and a Merry Christmas to you all!

This week has actually a very rewarding week in our area here. We've found many new investigators and we've seen many of them progress so quickly in their faith and testimony in just a few visits. We only have one of our investigators being baptized this Christmas, but after this last week, we are looking at having a very white January and February in place of our hopeful white Christmas.

One group of people we are teaching is a family whose parents have been less active for over 12 years that we found through the ward membership records. The first time we met them was interesting since they live a good 15 minute walk away from the main highway, and the whole time we were looking for them my companion was having some lower bowl problems, to put it delicately, from some bad water that he drank earlier. So that 15 minute walk for him probably seemed a lot longer, especially since we had to ask around a bit to find the house. Once we found the group of houses where their house was suppose to be, my companion was just about to nearly “burst", so he urgently asked one of the neighbors to use one of the bathrooms that was there (which was basically a cinder block out-house, but we're in the Philippines so we can't be picky).

It was at that time, while my companion was otherwise occupied, that I met the mother of the family who came out because we were asking around for her name. I still remember introducing myself and then pointing to the out-house and saying "and this is my companion Elder Ballad...say hello Elder!" to which my companion’s voice sounded from the inside of the out-house and introduced him self very politely.


After my companion had finished, we then talked a little more with the mom, who was a little resistant, but agreed to let us say a quick prayer for them and share a short message.

After we said the prayer we saw her countenance completely change. After we shared about the blessings she and her family could receive from living the gospel again, she told us that we could come back again and reteach them the missionary lessons.
Ever since we've been coming back she and her children have just been soaking up everything we've been teaching and her kids are all preparing for baptism. This Sister is looking so much more at peace. She shares with us that she feels better now that she is coming back to church.

I am just so grateful for the Spirit which led us to them. I know that the Gospel has so much power to change hearts and to give peace, which nothing else is able to give.

I can't really think of much else to say--there are more stories from some other families that we have had success with, but all of them would take a long time to write, so I'll save them for next time.

I love you all!

~Elder Butler 

No comments:

Post a Comment