A Favorite Scripture Verse of Elder Butler

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me: for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." ~ Ether 12:27 (A favorite verse of scripture from Elder Butler.)

Monday, December 9, 2013

Just Ask

Hello and maayong aga sa inyo tanan! 
 
During a lesson this week that we had with a member of the church and his nonmember family members, I could see that they were just willing to listen, but had no desire whatsoever to actually know if what we said was true and it made me a little sad. And I felt the Spirit teach me a lesson as I also shared with them about the principle of asking our Heavenly Father and His willingness to give us what we want.

How many times does it say in the scriptures that if we ask we receive, seek and we'll find, knock and it will be opened? And in what I realized in teaching it, it doesn't say you "can" ask, or "if you want to" you can knock, instead it is put in a way that it becomes a command, not optional, and if we want to receive something, we must seek it first.

These family members of the member we were visiting were good people, they had good hearts and the light of Christ, but they had no desire to ask, seek, or find. They are content. And even though the gospel may be sounded in their ears, they will never see or hear it unless they want to see or hear.

So it just taught me about how important it is for me, that I never become "content" with what I know or the light I have received. I am far from having perfect knowledge and far from celestial glory still, but I can never receive it unless I am constantly seeking it, and I will only receive it line upon line and in the amount that I can handle now. Enduring doesn't mean just continuing, it means growing!
 

I love you all and have a very merry month of December!

~Elder Butler    

No comments:

Post a Comment