A Favorite Scripture Verse of Elder Butler

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me: for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." ~ Ether 12:27 (A favorite verse of scripture from Elder Butler.)

Monday, November 18, 2013

My Heart is Aching

Wow. I mean wow. My heart aches every time I see any pictures or video footage from the island of Lete. Not to mention how those missionaries must be feeling right now having their entire mission just swept off the map. I've actually lost a little sleep a few nights just thinking about it. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to come back to Bacolod after something like that happened there.
 
We received an announcement that we will be receiving some of the missionaries from Tacloban that have been reassigned to our mission, so we hope that they can find a home here in Bacolod and move on somewhat from what they experienced.



I'm sure that you all back at home are seeing a lot more than I am as far as media goes, so I won't go into that too much, but I was just thinking about all of those people especially in the smaller towns there. A lot of these people here live day to day, and even some live almost hour to hour, and they are born, grow up, live, and then die in the same town their whole life. They know everyone in their "neighborhood" and are usually known by everyone as well, and then to have ALL of it just wiped off in a matter of hours, with all of the family and friends and livelihood with it, is almost more than can even be recovered. I haven't heard any stories from the missionaries there, but I can only imagine. Please keep praying for those people. Even just being on the next island I feel like there isn't a whole lot that I can do to help, but they will need all the help they can get for the next 5 to 10 years to try and get back on their feet again.
 
On a much happier note, our area is starting to finally get traction and I feel like we have a good chance to really make some progress here in the next few weeks. I've felt like my faith has really been increasing since I've been here and that I'm starting to be the most at peace and happiest that I have been yet while in my mission. Granted there are a lot of the same problems and challenges here, but I feel a greater assurance and power that comes from faithfully fulfilling my duty to my God and to these people here no matter what the circumstances may be.
  
I've also really been getting deeper into my study of Preach My Gospel, and it has really been helping me to increase my power and confidence as a missionary. Also our mission president told us during his training that PMG should become our handbook as members of the church, leaders, teachers, bishops, stake presidents etc., and I am really starting to see why. When ever I've applied the principles in PMG to any aspect of my life or work, I've always felt closer in harmony with the Savior.
 
So with that I just would invite anyone within the sound of my email to seriously consider studying the principles of PMG, the same way that you would study the Book of Mormon. I know that the things I am learning from it I will continue to use my whole life as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and a future leader.
 
I got an email from Brother Krueger [our ward Young Men's President~K] asking about my words to anyone of the priest age and older young men that might be struggling with the decision to go on a mission, so I guess my words would be this. Have faith and just do it! If you want to know what you are supposed to do with you life, serve a mission. If you want to know how to help your family, serve a mission. If you want to know who you are and what you are made of and what you are capable of, serve a mission. For ANY young man, no matter if they have been born in the church or a convert of one year, there is NOTHING that can replace what you would be able to become by serving a full time mission for the only true church of Jesus Christ. What ever amount of faith that you possess, hold on to it, don't question it, and believe enough to trust that a prophet of the Lord has sent out a call for YOU to serve the Savior NOW. And if you exercise that particle of faith and trust in the Lord enough to go, it will grow into a tree of life that will sustain you for the rest of your life and beyond into the eternities.
 
I love you all! Keep praying for those who were affected more by the storm.
 
~Elder Butler    

No comments:

Post a Comment