A Favorite Scripture Verse of Elder Butler

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me: for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." ~ Ether 12:27 (A favorite verse of scripture from Elder Butler.)

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

It's Always Up Hill in Zion

Hello Family!

Well it has been quite a week for us here in Hinobaan, a lot of great things and a lot of not so great things. The work is definitely hastening here, but as sure as I know that Christ will hasten His work in His time, Satan is hastening his at the same pace.

I'm reminded of the scripture in 2 Nephi 28, "Wo unto him that is at ease in Zion!" The surest sign to me that you are doing some good is that you feel an increased volume of opposition, and the surest sign that you are being bound by the adversary is that you start getting lulled into a sense of contentment and security. 


This Saturday was the baptism of M! The younger sister of SJ. We are starting to see the gospel take effect on SJ's family and we are hoping that eventually the rest of the family will be following soon enough.

Also the C family, who are the recently reactivated family that live near SJ and B our recent converts, have been doing great missionary work and have been working with us to teach their family and friends in their barangay (like a small town) and we are always very busy teaching because of them. Also another recent convert family, the M family, have been awesome in helping us find people to teach! Although we have had a few experiences with finding those who are not quite ready yet, but it has been a good growing experience for them and their testimonies and their desire to share haven't diminished in the least bit.

The not so good news is about a recent turn of events in the family of a sister, our recent convert of about a month now. Her two older children have taken an interest in the church and both have a desire to come to church, but this sister's husband, who allowed her to be baptized at first, has taken an extreme turn for the worst.
Starting last week he has been drinking very heavily, and he has taken to threatening the life of his wife and kids if they keep going to church, which eventually lead to physical violence against his wife and children which had him put in jail, but still telling this wife to "watch out" when he gets out, forcing her and her family to leave their home and go stay temporarily with her sister, who is a strong member, until they can figure out where they can go next. This sister has been persecuted by her husband and her husbands family for years now, and she and her children can no longer stay where they are now which is surrounded by her husbands family.


I don't feel I need to say more, but in short I feel like the adversary has been gripping the hearts of as many people as he can to do as much damage as he can to counter act all of the good that is happening.

In a bright spot thought, I have not seen a single iota of fear coming from this Sister through all of this. When we found out from her that their lives were being threatened for going to church, she was at the church, and not ashamed or afraid. Her faith has been shining through it all and her only concern has been to keep her children safe. We can use all the prayers we can get here for her and her family, but I know that she knows that it will all work out in the end, and her faith in Christ has been sustaining her through this very difficult time.

And moving on from that, I just wanted to let you all know how grateful I was to be able to speak with you last week! I felt so much love from you and from my Father in Heaven for having given me so many blessings that I can't even begin to count.

I love you all so much! Thank you for your prayers and your love.

Halong kamo!

Elder Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment